In Japan, the school system is following a peculiar program that is a bit different from most parts of the world. March is the season of graduation! It’s the time of farewells and new beginnings and a good graduation song is needed for it. To find out which anime song fits the season best, Anime! Anime! conducted a wonderful survey.
After receiving suggestions via Twitter, they created a list of the top 20 songs from which every person could select their personal perfect graduation song. Votes were accepted from 1-5 March 2017. 886 people answered this survey with 60% of the respondents male and 40% female. 50% were in their teens and 30% in their twenties, making young people the majority of voters.
* 1st place: K-On! – Tenshi ni Fureta Yo
The first place was taken by Tenshi ni Fureta Yo by K-On!’s Hokago Tea Time. It’s a song Yui and the others sing at the end for their lower-classman Azusa Nakano.
* 2nd place: LiSA – Shirushi
The ending for Sword Art Online 2: Mother’s Rosario. The lyrics that describe thoughts they can’t forget are typical for that season.
* 3rd place: supercell – Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari
It was used as the ending for Bakemonogatari. It was also the singlethat marked supercell’s major debut. Even today it is a song that ranks high in karaoke.
Seeing the results, the majority of participants were between 10 and 20 years old, so most of the songs are from the 2000s. To find H2O’s song, which was released in 1983, in 5th place is surprising and shows how much of a timeless masterpiece it is.
Full Results: Best Graduation Anime Songs
1. Tenshi ni Fureta yo by Hokago Tea Time
2. Shirushi by LiSA
3. Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari by supercell
4. Bye Bye Yesterday by 3-nen E-gumi Utatan
5. Omoide ga Ippai by H2O
6. Ichiban no Takaramono by karuta
7. Garnet by Hanako Oku
8. Mata ne… No Kisetsu by Inazuma All Stars
9. Ano hi no Timemachine by Long Shot Party
10. Oto no Naru Hou e by Goose House
(Survey period: Wednesday 1 March 2017 – Sunday 5 March 2017)