Thanasis is a writer, professional geek, and assistant editor at MANGA.TOKYO. He started watching anime with the mecha shows of the 70s and hasn't stopped since. He loves JRPGs.
From the moment that Makoto Shinkai’s Kimi no Na wa. surpassed the 15 billion yen , it was just a matter of time before it took its place in the top ten of the highest grossing films of all time in Japan.
Its total gross earnings have now reached over 16 billion yen, and it has already surpassed Hayao Miyazaki’s Ponyo and James Cameron’s Avatar. Now we only have to wait and see if it will get above one of the two Harry Potter films in the list.
Five of these films are Japanese (marked with a JP)
Title – Date – JPY billion
1. Spirited Away (2001/30.8) JP
2. Titanic (1998/26.2)
3. Frozen (2014/25.48)
4. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (2001/20.3)
5. Howl’s Moving Castle (2004/19.6) JP
6. Princess Mononoke (1997/19.3) JP
7. Bayside Shakedown 2 (2003/17.35)
8. Harry Potter and the Chamber Of Secrets (2002/17.3)
9. your name. (2016/16.41) JP
10. Avatar (2010/15.6)
I don’t think that Shinkai ever expected the huge success his movie is receiving. For decades Hayao Miyazaki was the only director of anime movies known outside the island country.That’s about to change as your name. is taking part in all major festivals and is scheduled to premiere in more than 85 countries.