Anime and manga are living in a symbiotic relationship. Many anime that are based in manga are used as marketing tools to boost the sales of the comic, and in the case of Ao no Exorcist, it seems that the newest anime series Blue Exorcist – Kyoto Impure King Arc – helped bring the 18th volume of Kazue Kato’s supernatural action manga in the first place of the weekly Oricon manga sales. In the week that ended in January 8, the volume sold 215,059 copies and became the top-selling manga of the week.
The manga of Blue Exorcist has been serializing in Shueisha’s Jump Square magazine since 2009. The first anime season was broadcast back in 2011, with the second season airing in the Winter 2017 season. You can read our review of Episode 1 here on MANGA.TOKYO.
Curious about the rest of the list?
Oricon Top 10 for the week January 2-8, 2017
1. Ao no Exorcist (Blue Exorcist) vol.18 – 215,059 copies
2. Shokugeki no Soma vol.22 – 177,486 copies
3. Seraph of the end vol.13 – 148,188 copies
4. Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler) vol.24 – 135,090 copies
5. Gintama vol. 67 – 117,840 copies
6. Toriko vol.43 – 92,891 copies
7. Otaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii vol.3 – 79,790 copies
8. World’s End Harem vol.2 – 69,148 copies
9. Tokyo Ghoul:re vol.9 – 67,290 copies
10. Attack on Titan vol.21 regular edition – 62,384 copies
© oricon ME inc.