Dimension W – #04
The last episode ended at a scene in which an unidentified person drowned in the water. This subsequent episode is a horror suspense episode that focuses on the mysterious murder. The real world and literature world interacts with each other at a western style haunted mansion!
Let’s look at some highlights from the fourth episode.
Synopsis of the fourth episode: The Mystery Hidden in Lake Yasogami
A mystery-novelist, Shijuro Sakai, drowned to death in a room that is locked inside out, there was no sign of anyone entering or exiting the room.
Per request from New Tesla, Kyouma and Mira head to the manmade Lake Yasogami for investigation, where the accident took place.
The Lake Yasogami was engineered 21 years ago. Rumor has it that the forced construction resulted in a large number of victims, which turned to ghosts haunting the area ever since. When the two arrive at the destination, they meet peculiar and unexpected guests of the hotel, which, lead them to more accidents.
Highlight 1: Complexly related incidents
The dense and intricate story line, along with the high volume of information jam-packed in one, makes this episode quite challenging to digest in just one round. Internet reviews actually give it a high rating as it is more compact and well summarized compared to the original manga version. After watching the show twice, I was finally able to grasp the overview.
Here are some of the key plots intertwining in a very complex way.
- A famous novelist was drown to death. An investigation takes place at a hotel by the Lake Yasogami. The hotel also served as the deceased novelist’s home.
- The hotel sits by the manmade lake, which was built 21 years ago. Due to the forced labor and other reasons, many lives were lost. The ghosts haunt the hotel since then, or so goes the rumor.
- Also 21 years ago, the Numbers went on rampage which resulted in causalities including a death. Whereabouts of the Numbers remain uncertain to this day. Some say that the Numbers are hiding somewhere in the lake area.
- Another mysterious death. When Kyouma and Mira arrive for the investigation, a fellow named Hageyama was staying at the same hotel. After being chased by a white-cloth ghost, the guy was found dead.
- Mira starts reading some of the works of Shijuro Sakaki, which makes her obsessed with his world.
- In his novel, the world is very much alike the Yasogami Village of 21 years ago.
- Due to the Numbers left somewhere in the area, the hotel becomes some sort of a portal between the real incidents in the modern time and the residue of compound memories from 21 years ago. Mira slips into the world of 21 years ago and loses the way-out.
- In summary, someone brought in the Numbers 21 years ago to this area. Because of that, deceased people continue to exist in the real world, like ghosts. These wandering souls have memories, which attack real-world people. Does this all make sense?
Highlight 2: Mira’s shower scene
No horror suspense is complete without a steamy shower scene… is that right? Mira’s shower scene is sexy! Fans are buzzing the same thing. Mira seems to like cleaning her body despite that she’s an high-functioning android!
Well, how was it?
The suspense story continues on to the next round, leaving the climax of the mystery solving to the next episode. Will Mira find the way back to this world? Stay tuned.
ⒸYUJI IWAHARA/SQUARE ENIX, DW PROJECT