At last, Akko officially starts her journey as a student! And I know there are a lot of anime about school-life out there, but Little Witch Academia has magic! Magic! It’s a totally different world than our own! It’s no surprise that Akko was super excited!
Japanese Original Episode Title: パピリオディア
In this episode, we finally get a more detailed run-down on how life is like at Luna Nova! It seems like your normal all-girls school, with friendly roommates, average classes complete with boring lessons, and the usual snooty rich kid with her posse. What makes it different, though, is that it’s a Magical Academy, and there’s an extraordinary after-school event! Also, throughout the day, Akko had been trying out her new wand, the Shiny Rod, but to no avail. She did manage to use it before; could it have been a fluke?
The Shiny Rod not working – I’m not surprised at Akko’s tenacity anymore, but I still am quite amazed that she kept trying to cast magic with the staff despite it never working. Either our magical relic is too picky or Akko really just needs to learn about different spells. Maybe there are other certain conditions for it to work too? I do hope she eventually manages to use it freely so she can show everyone that commoners can be witches too! Can Professor Ursula help her once she starts tutoring Akko?
Diana Cavendish – I personally like her quite a bit! Unlike most anime rivals who are all talk but can’t back it up, Diana doesn’t even need to speak. Instead, she just immediately shows what she can do! She also doesn’t put others down just to show how superior she is. Her posse, Hanna and Barbara, do that for her, though. I guess being the child of a famous family is a big perk. She was also quick to deny credit for something she didn’t do. Too bad the teachers still thought saving the tree and the papilliodya was her doing though.
Shiny Chariot Trading Cards – No wonder Akko really wanted to collect them! Aside from the pretty art that makes me want to have one, it revealed different wonders of the magic world and Shiny Chariot’s spells! To some it may have seemed like a world for kids; they’ll eventually get over it once they’re older. But to our protagonist, it further sparked her dream on becoming a witch! I also love how Sucy and Lotte played the cards with her, just to cheer her up! What good friends!
Papilliodya – I’m surprised the older witches didn’t know anything about these. For creatures who ‘bring hope to the hearts of all who behold them,’ shouldn’t their way of reproducing be more well-known? Though, given that they only emerge every 120 years, it’d be easy to forget. Their chrysalises also do look like parasites. Good thing Akko and her trading cards saved them! They were such a marvelous sight, and indeed gave hope to all who saw them!
Themes & Trivia
Magic School – The premise of the school kind of gives you a very Harry Potter-esque feel, don’t you think? We’ve got old professors teaching about the language of magic, brewing potions, numbers…They also have magical creatures! There are other bunch of anime set in magic schools out there, like Alice Academy, and Akazukin Chacha.
The Ten Sefirot – These were written and illustrated on the blackboard during the third teacher’s lesson (the one on Pythagoras and the foundations of sorcery). They are attributes/emanations of God in the Jewish Kabbalah. The diagram in the middle is called the ‘Tree of Life.’ (I also mentioned this as one of the themes in my review for Occultic;Nine Episode 8! What a coincidence!)
This was such a nice and heartwarming episode! The storytelling perfectly introduced us to the school and the life as a student there! And like with the first chapter, it’s amazing how they managed to tell us quite a bit about the teachers with only a few short minutes of screen time! Yes, I know it’s not good to judge a book by its cover, but first impressions also count!
I guess the only thing that bothers me is how they easily shrugged off the damage to Akko when she was hit with Diana’s magic. Sucy said it looked bad, so how come she was suddenly fine after seeing the Shiny Rod glow and making it work? Could it have had something to do with it? Oh well!
Papillio Fillio Nymphodya!
Now we know that Akko really can use the Shiny Rod! It kind of makes me wonder now if we’ll get to see it in action more by solving different problems in every episode! Also, when will Professor Ursula start mentoring Akko, and why does she seem intrigued with her? Let’s find out next week!
Don’t forget to share your thoughts on the episode in the comments below! I’m excited to hear them!
TV Anime Little Witch Academia
Official Website: http://tv.littlewitchacademia.jp/
Official Twitter: @LWA_jp
© 2017 TRIGGER / Yoh Yoshinari / ”Little Witch Academia” Committee
All reviews for Little Witch Academia
- Little Witch Academia Episode 1 Review: A New Beginning
- Little Witch Academia Episode 2 Review: Papilliodya
- Little Witch Academia Episode 3 Review: Don’t Stop Me Now
- Little Witch Academia Episode 4 Review: Night Fall
- Little Witch Academia Episode 5 Review: Luna Nova and the White Dragon
- Little Witch Academia Episode 6 Review: The Fountain of Polaris
- Little Witch Academia Episode 7 Review: Orange Submariner
- Little Witch Academia Episode 8 Review: Sleeping Sucy
- Little Witch Academia Episode 9 Review: Brightonberry’s Undead Travel Log
- Little Witch Academia Episode 10 Review: Bee Commotion
- Little Witch Academia Episode 11 Review: Blue Moon
- Little Witch Academia Episode 12 Review: What You Will
- Little Witch Academia Episode 13 Review: Samhain Magic
- Little Witch Academia Episode 14 Review: New Age Magic
- Little Witch Academia Episode 15 Review: Chariot of Fire
- Little Witch Academia Episode 16 Review: Trial of Pohjola
- Little Witch Academia Episode 17 Review: Amanda O’Neill and the Holy Grail
- Little Witch Academia Episode 18 Review: Sky War Stanship
- Little Witch Academia Episode 19 Review: Cavendish
- Little Witch Academia Episode 20 Review: Sense and Sensibility
- Little Witch Academia Episode 21 Review: Wagandea
- Little Witch Academia Episode 22 Review: Chariot and Croix
- Little Witch Academia Episode 23 Review: Yesterday
- Little Witch Academia Episode 24 Review: The Road to Arcturus
- Little Witch Academia Episode 25 (Final) Review: Tree of Leaves
- Little Witch Academia (TV Winter – Spring 2017) Series Review