In this episode we finally get to meet Spice Girl, who we’ve already seen in the opening animation for the anime. Unlike most members of Team Bucciarati (except Giorno of course), Trish is a natural Stand user, not needing the Arrow to awaken her abilities. Her spirit is much stronger than she believes.
Japanese title: スパイス・ガール
Trish decides that she must give up on protecting Giorno’s brooch in order to safely escape Notorious B.I.G, but without even thinking, she uses the reclining seat to distract the enemy Stand. Despite her slow movements, the Stand grabs onto her boot, only for it to slide off her foot. She turns around to find a mysterious Stand floating behind her. It is her own Stand, Spice Girl, which has the ability to make anything soft, and therefore unbreakable. Just as we think Trish has defeated the enemy, it grows gigantic and consumes half of the plane. Much to Bucciarati and Abbacchio’s surprise, Trish uses Spice Girl to break off the infected part of the plane and turn the cockpit into a parachute, saving the group.
Meanwhile, the Boss has realised that Trish’s memory and Abbachio’s Moody Blues means that there is a could chance that his identity could be exposed. This means that he has no choice but to head to Sardinia himself.
– I like Spice Girl’s design because it takes aspects both from Trish’s fashion (the mathematical symbols of her skirt) and also highly resembles King Crimson. It’s also very sexy.
– Senbongi is doing a great performance as Trish, but it’s also impressive how she performed Spice Girl with a different voice, yet still sounds like Trish. It sounds almost exactly as I imagined it would sound as I read the manga.
– B.I.G hitting the clock was surprisingly cute.
– I loved Spice Girl’s no no no finger wag.
– Trish usually speaks in quite feminine Japanese. However, when she is closing the door on B.I.G and when she throws B.I.G into the sea, she uses quite vulgar language more akin to the guys (except Giorno, who tends to speak very politely). Spice Girl also uses vulgar language as it impales B.I.G with the pole.
– Notorious B.I.G and Spice Girl have been added to the Stand pillar in the ending credits.
“Making things softer makes them stronger than any diamond!”
Trish is the real MVP this episode. I love how she has these different opinions screaming at each other inside her. She goes from wanting to run, to wanting to protect the brooch, to berating herself for her stupidity and trying to run again. In the end it is Trish and her newly-awakened Stand which save Bucciarati’s entire team. I think these mixed emotions and the slow but steady strengthening of Trish’s spirit are relatable and inspiring.
Ciao for now!
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind
Spring 2019 | Anime Info | Simulcast